The Department of Academic Affairs (Academische Zaken, AZ), a component of the Administration and Central Services, is responsible for devising strategy and advising the Executive Board on policy with respect to such broad issues as teaching, research, internationalisation, collaboration and legislation.
The Academic Affairs Departments is also responsible for informing and advising the faculties and for creating consensus regarding the above-mentioned policy areas, for instance in the context of management agreements.
- Advice regarding developments in research profile areas
- Quality assurance of research: support throughout institutional audit processes, achieving national consensus
- Advice regarding developments at graduate schools
- Development of PhD policy
- Acquiring funds: promoting the acquisition of grants, for instance from NWO and EU, in collaboration with LURIS.
- Innovation & valorisation: promoting valorisation, knowledge transfer and knowledge-intensive activity in collaboration with LURIS
- Advising on strategic matters
- Establishing an institutional plan
- Preparing for board consultations: Executive Board – Faculties, cooperative relation LDE ( Leiden/ TUD/ EUR), VSNU, OCW, Leiden Municipality and region, LERU (League of European Research Universities), etc.
- Professors: nomination and appointment policy
- Scientific integrity: developing policy, establishing procedures, implementing advice
- Following developments in legislation and achieving consensus with respect to decisions and legislation between faculties and central services