Claiming for business trip using OV chipcard
Do you want to find out how you can claim for an official trip made with an OV chipcard? There are two possible situations:
- 1. You have a subscription via the University
- 2. Claims possible using an OV-chipcard or ticket from machine or from bus/metro/tram
Your NS subscriptions – with the exception of the 5-Return ticket – are provided on an OV-chipcard. You can see this from the OV-chipcard logo on the card.
You can compare this subscription with the personal OV-chipcard. The claim procedure works in the same way.
The cost of purchase of a personal OV-chipcard is €7.50. These expenses are not reimbursed by Leiden University.
It is possible to submit a claim with your personal OV-chipcard by using the possibility of retrieving an overview of journeys and transactions and adding this to the claim form. Topping up your chipcard and retrieving an overview is possible at: http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl.
It is possible to submit a claim with the anonymous OV-chipcard using the possibility of retrieving an overview of journeys and transactions and adding this to the claim form. You can top up the card and retrieve an overview at the ticket office at a train station.
Separate tickets can be attached to the claim form as was previously the case.
Separate tickets/disposable chipcards
If it is not possible to travel with a strippenkaart bus and tram card, it is then possible to buy a single-journey ticket (ritkaartje) from the GVB, Arriva and Connexxion transport companies. Visit the websites of these transport companies to see how this is possible:
The personal OV chipcard (http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl)
- Can only be used by you;
- Suitable for personal travel products such as a subscription;
- Suitable for personal advantages and discounts, such as those for children or people older than 65;
- Balance can be topped up automatically;
- In the event of loss or theft the card can be blocked for further use;
- Online overview of your travel data via ‘Mijn OV-chipkaart’ (my OV-chipcard);
- Valid for five years.
Journey and transaction overview (http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/mijnov)
The journey and transaction overview is an overview of the journeys and transactions that you have made with your personal OV-chipcard. All public transport companies in the Netherlands participate in this overview. You can use this overview to claim for travel expenses from your employer or for your tax return.
When do you see transactions?
For reasons of privacy it is necessary that you give permission to collect transactions and display them in your overview. You see transactions in your overview if:
- You have created a ‘Mijn OV- chipkaart’ account and have granted permission to collect transactions and supplement missing data;
- You have travelled once you have granted permission;
- You have given your authorisation to show your location details;
- Your journey has taken place between seven days and 18 months ago. Older data is not shown.
It can happen that the public transport company with which you have travelled has not sent any transactions, for example, if there is work on the system. In that case your travel and transaction overview will be empty. All parties are working hard to make it possible to provide an overview of all your travel and transaction data.
Print out receipt with last ten transactions
You can always print out your last ten transactions or purchase receipt for a product at the counter or ticket machine of the public transport company with which you have travelled. You can use this when claiming for your travel expenses.
Opening transaction overview in Excel
In order to open your travel and transaction overview in Excel you need to convert it from csv to Excel. Press the ‘save’ button on your overview in order to save it first as a csv file. Download the further instructions for converting the travel and transaction overview into Excel format (pdf, only in Dutch).