Welcome to the webpages for new international staff at Leiden University. If you come to the Netherlands, you are likely to have some questions about arrangements you need to make. For instance, you may not yet know what visa or permit you need, what kind of (sometimes mandatory) health insurance applies, how you find a place to live, etc. The following pages are designed to help you with these and many other issues that may arise while moving to the Netherlands.

Are you a non-Dutch national and will you soon be employed by Leiden University?

First things first. Depending on your nationality and the duration of your intended stay, you may need a visa or a residence permit to legally reside in the Netherlands. The Service Centre International Staff (SCIS) of Leiden University will guide you through this process. Leiden University will act as your Dutch sponsor and the SCIS will take care of the application on your behalf and any family member accompanying you. Just to make things easy. Moving countries is difficult enough as it is. 

You can contact us at scis@leidenuniv.nl or +31 (0)71 527 7300.