Your spouse's career

If you bring your spouse and children, there is a lot to think about. The Service Centre International Staff (SCIS) will assist you with all immigration procedures through our web portal. If, after arrival, your spouse is also interested in working in The Netherlands, it is good to know that he or she will have full access rights to the Dutch labour market, as long as you (as a staff member of Leiden University) are registered as a sponsor.

Within the European Union, the unemployment rate measures the number of people actively looking for a job as a percentage of the labour force.  The Dutch unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the EU. At the end of 2015 the unemployment rate of the EU was 9.10, while the Dutch rate in this period showed 6.80.

A good way to look for a job is through the several job sites available. Some examples of job sites that may interest you:

Scientific vacancies
Academic Transfer (English)
EURAXESS (English)

Other vacancies
Expatica (English)
Stepstone (English/Dutch)
Together Abroad (English)
Monsterboard (Dutch)
Intermediair (Dutch)
Nationale Vacaturebank (Dutch)
NRC Carrière (Dutch)
Jobbird (Dutch)

Recruitment agencies

If you prefer some help in finding a job you can also contact a temp agency (uitzendbureau) or recruitment agency. Depending on the type of work you are looking for, you can choose either one. Temp agencies often have temporary work. If you are looking for work at a Bachelor or Master degree level, you might prefer to get in touch with a recruitment agency. Please bear in mind that these organisation tend to require you to send a CV before they agree to meet in person.

Recruitment agencies that are specialised in non-Dutch jobseekers
Undutchables (English)
Adams Recruitment (English)
Octagon (English)

Last Modified: 20-12-2016