Compulsory Identification

The Compulsory Identification Act stipulates that employers must verify the identity of employees at the commencement of their employment. This also applies to seasonal staff and students on placement. As an employee you must co-operate by showing a form of ID that is valid for this purpose to a member of your Human Resources department and allowing him or her to make a copy of it. This copy will be kept at the Salary Administration department.

At the workplace

When you are at work you must always be able to show a valid form of ID to anyone authorised to request this. In this instance a Dutch or European driving licence is also considered a valid form of ID.

Valid forms of ID

  • Valid Dutch national passport or Dutch Identity Card (Nederlandse Identiteitskaart; NIK)
  • Refugee passport or certificate of identity
  • Diplomatic passport or service passport
  • Valid passport or European identity card from an EEA country.
  • Valid passport from a country outside the EEA that contains a valid ‘verblijfsaantekeningen’ sticker (a sticker confirming your right of residence in the Netherlands)
  • Valid residence documents for foreign nationals, namely:
    document I (residence permit for a fixed term, regular)
    document II (residence permit for an indefinite term, regular)
    document III (residence permit for a fixed term, asylum)
    document IV (residence permit for an indefinite term, asylum)
    EU/EEA document (residence document for foreign nationals from the EEA and their family members)
  • W-document (document for asylum seekers)

A driving licence is not sufficient proof of ID when you commence employment, because it does not provide information about your nationality and residence status.

Last Modified: 12-07-2012