Collective insurance for business travel

The Executive Board has obtained collective travel insurance coverage through ACE covering business travel for staff and for contract PhD candidates of the university. You do not need to arrange a business travel insurance when you go abroad on business or fieldwork.

Coverage begins at the actual start of an anticipated trip. Cover terminates upon your return to your home or place of employment, whichever shall occur first.
Business travel to Iraq, North Caucasus, Somalia, Ukraine, Yemen and Sudan is excluded from coverage.
Business travel within the Netherlands is covered by this insurance, provided that at least one pre-booked overnight stay is included.
The policy also applies to the partner and children accompanying the staff member on the trip.


You do not need to register your trip to qualify for insurance. All business travel abroad is covered, with exception of the countries mentioned above. Business travel within the Netherlands is covered by this insurance, provided that at least one night’s accommodation is included.

The maximum length of a business trip covered by this insurance is 356 days. If your stay abroad is longer, separate arrangements will have to be made. You can turn to Katrien van Dijk (HRM),, tel. 7950. For longer trips, this might be considered a case of temporary employment or secondment rather than a business trip.

Insurance coverage

The collective travel insurance covers the following:

  • Assistance while abroad and any exceptional costs, including repatriation;
  • Damage to luggage up to an amount of €7,500,-; 
  • Loss of money to a maximum of €1,500; 
  • Loss of (electronical) business equipment to a maximum of €1,500; 
  • Loss of passport, travel documents, visa, driving license to a amximum of €2,000; 
  • An allowance in the event of death or permanent injury resulting from an accident, to a maximum of €100,000,-; 
  • Necessary medical costs while abroad on a business trip that are not covered by your health insurance; 
  • Cancellation insurance to a maximum of €11,500; 
  • Legal assistance, to a maximum of €25,000.

In some cases, you will need to report the incident to the local police, such as in the event of theft or robbery.

Policy conditions

Suffered damage or need help during a business trip?

In the event of serious damage, or if you need help for a different reason, you can contact ACE Assistance immediately: +31 (0)10 289 3536 (open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

The university’s policy number is NLBBBA04490.

Declarations for damages

In case of damage or loss you can turn your insurance claim directly to beneluxclaims@acegroup, using this form. Do this as soon as possible after the damage occurred. Take care to sign the form, otherwise the insurance company will not handle your claim.

Declarations for damages caused before January 1, 2017

For damage caused up to and including December 31, 2016 you can turn in your insurance claim directly to Centraal Beheer Achmea using the damages form, making sure to mention policy number 141663701 and relation number 546528.

Business travel in high risk area’s

For more information see the Guidelines for business travel to high-risk areas.

More information

If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Katrien van Dijk (HRM),, tel. 7950.

Last Modified: 10-03-2017